Requirements for Toronto Police Checks
DEADLINE to submit applications: AUGUST 15
There is a lot of IMPORTANT information in the steps below. Please read and follow them CAREFULLY. If you have ANY questions, please contact us ASAP!
IMPORTANT! This process is only applicable for TORONTO residents (i.e. your postal code starts with “M”). If you have been directed here, and your postal code does NOT start with “M”, please contact the program office.
As a result of the current COVID-19 closures the process for obtaining a vulnerable sector check from Toronto Police Services is different this year – so please read and follow the step carefully.
In addition, we have a formal partnership agreement in place with the Toronto District School Board, and must adhere to their policies and procedures for the police check process.
1.Print this blank form on LEGAL size paper – Toronto Police will REJECT it if it’s on any other size paper.
2. Fill out the following fields in the top box of the form:
- LAST NAME (surname)
- GIVEN 1 (first name)
- GIVEN 2 (middle name)
- GIVEN 3 (if applicable)
- MAIDEN NAME OR OTHER NAMES USED (if applicable)
- DATE OF BIRTH
- PLACE OF BIRTH
- (AREA CODE) TELEPHONE # (RES)
- DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER
- ADDRESS: NUMBER, STREET, APT/UNIT #, CITY POSTAL CODE
- YEARS AT THIS ADDRESS
** Complete the second box IF you have NOT lived at your current address for MORE THAN 5 years.
3. In the REASON FOR REQUEST box, check off “Volunteer”.
4. Sign on the SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT line and complete the date signed (SIGNED THIS____ DAY OF ____, 20____)
5. Fill in the box in the BOTTOM LEFT CORNER of the form with your mailing address – this is what TPS uses to mail the form back to you!
6. VSS Volunteer application fee is $20. Certified cheques, money orders, or business cheques made payable to Toronto Police Service will only be accepted. Personal cheques will not be accepted.
Engineers of Tomorrow will reimburse you for the FIRST police check. If you continue with the program for multiple years and require additional police checks, you are expected to cover that expense yourself.
Reimbursement requests must be submitted before December 31st.
7. Mail the application and processing fee to the address listed on the top of the form (40 College St.), or submit your application in person at the Police Reference Check Program’s “drop off box” located in the lobby of 40 College Street.
How to receive the results of your VSS
The results of your VSS are mailed to you (the applicant) directly.
IMPORTANT: Once you receive your VSS, you need to let us know so that we can send a copy to TDSB for their records.
This is a requirement in our partnership agreement with TDSB and you will not be allowed to visit your class (in person or virutally) if they do not have a copy of your VSS.
The Toronto Police process takes about 10 business days from receipt of request, there may be additional delays if fingerprinting is required.