The EIR program encourages volunteer engineers to work closely with educators to develop a program custom-tailored to the school. There is no cookie cutter approach. What EIRs and educators plan depends on their schedules, interests, and personalities as well as the school culture and the interests/needs of the students.
But we don’t expect our volunteers to do it alone. Along with our Program Guide, this section of our website offers a variety of tools and resources to help educators and engineers working to engage students in STEM learning.
We would also encourage you to check out the EoT Resources section for other sources of inspiration!
There are lots of great activity ideas in the Program Guide, but if you want to expand your search further, here are some great resources we recommend!
- IEEE - free lesson plans and activities
- Teach Engineering - lots of great info and free activities
- DiscoverE - Great, searchable database for hands-on STEM activities, lesson plans, presentations, videos, etc.
- Tomorrow's Engineers - find free downloadable presentations about engineering!
- A fun article filled with games and activities to jump start kids imagination and learning.
We recommend using the standard messaging outlined in this Engineering Messaging overview. *
*Adapted from National Academy of Engineering - Changing the Conversation
EIR Program Brochures
Printable copy of the program brochure that you can use as a communication tool (send home to parents, share with colleagues, etc.)
For Teachers - Download
For Engineers - Download
EIR Program Video
Watch and listen to students that have experienced the EIR program to help you understand the impact that it can have!
- Summer Webinar Series (2020)
- Orientation September 19th, 2020 - RSVP
Printable Student Recognition Certificates: EIR student certificate
EIR Community Connections
Use one (or all!) of the following ways to connect with fellow EIRs or teachers participating in the program. We encourage you to share ideas/learnings/best practices.
The Engineer-in-Residence program is founded by Professional Engineers Ontario.